St. Paul’s United Methodist Church
According to historians, members of the Shawnee Methodist Church met under a brush arbor at the corner of Bell and Oakland on October 7th, 1894. There were nine original members. The following year, a frame building was erected.
In 1901, the frame building was moved to the present location of St. Paul’s, at tenth and Beard. Seven years later, a brick structure was built in its place, only to be torn down in 1918 to construct a dome church. (Picture above).
In 1939, the unification of the three main branches of Methodism and the First Methodist Episcopal Church South, became St. Paul’s Methodist Church of Shawnee.
After World War II, the need for a larger church with school facilities became apparent. The ground was broken for the building on September 28th, 1952.
At the 1964 General Conference in Dallas, Texas, the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren merged to make up the United Methodist Church. It was at this time that our church became known as St. Paul’s United Methodist Church of Shawnee.
On October 7, 1970, a tornado roared through Shawnee, lifting the dome of St. Paul’s, turning it and then placing it back down. The sanctuary was then condemned, and the church services had to be held in the Fellowship Hall.
Construction began in March of 1972 on the new building. Bishop Paul Milhouse led the consecration service for the building on January 14, 1973. Today, St. Paul’s United Methodist Church still occupies this building.
St. Paul’s celebrated its Centennial Celebration on October 7, 1994, and celebrated the 125th Celebration Day in 2019.